Friday, March 20, 2009

Wear Red on Friday


Are you wearing red today? The idea of wearing red on Friday to demonstrate support for U.S. troops originated a few years ago. Since the colour red is strongly associated with Canada, the concept quickly spread north of the border.

We Canadians wear red every Friday to remember not only military personnel serving in Afghanistan, but all members of the armed forces wherever they are. It's our way of saying "thank you" to them for putting their lives on the line.


I know there are readers and bloggers who have served their countries in the past or are serving them now, or who have children currently stationed in areas of conflict. When I wear red, I honour them as well.



It doesn't have to be a t-shirt.

From Hermione's Heart

9 comments:

Fabsterrant said...

From me and mine to you and yours, thank you for a extraordinary thought.

Michael said...

I didn't know that, thanks, Hermione. I wasn't wearing red today but once I saw your post I quickly donned red. In my case it IS a t-shirt. ;)

I join you in honoring all military personnel past and present. Bless you and those currently serving may you stay out of harm's way.

Michael

Jean said...

I wear red every Friday

SPANKEDHORTIC said...

I've never seen or heard of anything like this on this side of the pond. It does sound like an interesting idea.

Prefectdt

Hermione said...

Fab - You're very welcome.

Michael - I'm glad you joined in. I echo your sentiments.

Jean - Good for you. Before I did my research prior to posting this, I thought maybe it was a local practice. I'm glad I was mistaken.

Prefectdt - Why don't you spread the word?

Hugs,
Hermione

ronnie said...

Hi Hermione, what a great thing to do, thanks for letting us know this. As prefectdt says never heard of it this side the pond and yes it would be a good idea if we could spread the word.
Prefecdt - wear red on Friday, I will.

Have a good weekend Hermione.
Ronnie
xx

dwcmike said...

Wearing red for supporting the troops fighting on our behalf In Afghanistan is a worthwhile idea. If Bin Laden had a few more suicide bombers in 2001, they might have attacked Toronto high rise bank buildings also.
PS: the FOX ??journalist?? who made such stupid comments should be sent on a tour of duty with Canadian, US, and other NATO soldiers in Afghanistan, and then I would like to hear his comments.
Mike

SPANKEDHORTIC said...

I think I will Ronnie.

Prefectdt

Hermione said...

Ronnie - That would be great. Spread the word! Your men and women are out there fighting too.

Mike - On the day I posted this, four more brave men died for Canada near Khandahar. Is Bin Laden still "one tip away"?

Prefectdt - Super!

Hugs,
Hermione