Saturday, April 16, 2011

Guess the Implement


This is the paddle that I bought at the same time as the ivory hairbrush. It's a sturdy, large wooden implement, and the other side is even more interesting:




If you can't read what's printed on it, it says:

New Orleans
Lagnappe of N.O. Ltd

So, it's a souvenir of someone's holiday in the Big Easy. But what do you think it was intended for? Is it something to do with food preparation or cooking? Or do people buy these to use in a different way?

What do you think this keepsake was meant to do? Leave your ideas - real or imaginary - as a comment. I'm really curious about this one, and hope someone from Nawlins will give on the real scoop.

From Hermione's Heart

10 comments:

Raven Red said...

In South Africa that will definitely be used as a "spoon" to stir "pap".
Pap is maizemeal cooked similar to porridge, but it can be cooked in various forms for e.g.
Runny (porridge)
Clumpy (putu pap)
Crumbled (my personal favourite with a onion and tomato gravy sauce!)
Sour (by adding fermented beer to it - I did try it once - apart from swearing that I need someone to examine my head, that is one thing I will NEVER do again - no spanking required for the lesson)

Okay, now I am hungry!!

Hugs

Raven

Our Bottoms Burn said...

I have seen those "spoons", but don't have a clue as to any real use.

This for sure, don't say Nawlins unless you wish to announce you are from away.

Bonnie said...

Um, spanking perhaps?

Sorry, it was the first thing that came to mind...

Hugs,
Bonnie

Sara said...

Well, when we were in New Orleans my husband bought s "gumbo psddle". I am thinking it's something similar to that. Could it have to do with crawfish?

ronnie said...

Yes got to be something to do with food preparation Hermione but I know what P would use it for.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Anonymous said...

definitely looks like an implement for food preparation, like porridge, or a cake made by hand. I could imagine licking icing off of the implement.
Just wondering how it feels when used for spanking. (lickins0/ Have you experienced it yet.
happy lickins
Red

CedenoGems said...

I say bread or gumbo, but looks like it would make fine use for smacking a bottom!

Anonymous said...

I think it may be used for making corn bread.

William said...

My guess would be for stirring gumbo or crawfish.

SPANKEDHORTIC II said...

Is it for stirring Grits?

I will be honest with you, I do not know what "Grits" really is. I just remember it from all the old westerns that I used to watch, when I was a kid. This is just a stab in the dark.

Prefectdt