Monday, April 7, 2008

Signs of Spring


Recently I went on one of my favourite day trips. It's three hours each way, and I always enjoy the drive. The quiet, two-lane highway, dotted with historic plaques, winds around rocky hills covered with pine trees, passes through numerous small farming communities, and finally follows the course of a wide river. Numerous flocks of migrating Canada geese passed overhead on their way to their summer homes.

As I drove past a cluster of limestone houses, a sign caught my eye.
KV'S
WOOD
LEATHER
My spanko senses started tingling. What kind of cottage industry was this? Wood and leather what? Furniture? Crafts? Implements?
Pondering the possibilities kept me amused for the next ten kilometers. I also kept an eye out for other spanking-esque signs and I wasn't disappointed.
Butt's Putt
Mini Golf
Was the proprietor really called Mr. Butt?
Then I passed the sign indicating Jenkins Road, presumably named for distant relatives of the Rev. Abel Jenkins, chaplain of Lowewood Academy. Thinking about my friends at school there kept me occupied for at least a quarter of an hour.
The last sighting was an invitation to visit the Hanky Panky Lounge in a large, somewhat run-down motel. I wondered if the type of hanky panky going on inside was the kind Madonna sings about.
Are we there already?

9 comments:

Indy said...

Hhmm, Hermione, I can't help wondering exactly why this is one of your favorite day trips! Could it be that the back of your mind had noticed those signs in the past?

I loved last week's series of startles, too, especially the pregnant wife's comment.

Paul said...

Hermione, I should rain your imagination in a little, otherwise, you may well find yourself Butt up in the Hanky Punky lounge, while the Rev unstable Able plies your prominences, with well crafted toys of wood and leather. WEG
Warm hugs,
Paul

Hermione said...

Indiana - I should call that route The Spanko Trail. I always forget to watch for that Wood Leather place until I'm past it. Maybe next time I'll try to stop in.

Paul - ROFL. The people in the adjacent cubicles were wondering what made me laugh so hard. That was priceless! Thank you for a great start to my day.

Hugs,
Hermione

Karl Friedrich Gauss said...

Was the neighbourhood always like this, or have you warped the local spacetime continuum with your spanko thoughts?

Reesa Roberts said...

I just found your blog, Hermione. This is a cute post!

Huggs,
Reesa

Terpsichore said...

It is funny how easy it is for thoughts to wonder... :-)

PK said...

I would have to stop at the wood and leather place! When you do tell us all about it!

Hugs,
PK

Jessie said...

Spanko sense, it that like the spidee sense in Spiderman? :-)
-Jess

Hermione said...

Karl - I swear I didn't make these up.

Reesa - Welcome and thank you!

terpsichore - It is, especially on a long drive.

PK - You can be sure I'll report back on my findings (or purchases).

jessica - Yes, it's a similar tingling sensation.