Thursday, June 7, 2012

Spanking in the News


The above illustration appeared on the front page of one of the sections of our national newspaper a few weeks ago. Naturally it caught my eye. Unfortunately, the article wasn't about consensual adult spanking, but the picture is the perfect way to introduce today's topic.

I've been collecting spanko-esque headlines from various newspapers for a while now, and it's high time I shared them with you. Remember, these are all real. I swear there are some copydesk editors out there who are into spanking.


Calgary Turns 'Bum Heaven' into Social Success Story - This was a piece about reducing the number of homeless people on the streets of a major Canadian city by providing them with affordable housing.

A Butter Backwater - I admit I misread this one, and didn't notice the extra syllable in the second word. It was a story about using real butter in pastries. A yummy topic either way.

Papi puts Spanking on Jays - Now this one had me puzzled for more than one reason. The Jays are a baseball team, and I assume someone named Papi on the opposing team caused them to lose. But who puts a spanking on? It should have been "gives spanking to" or the more common "spanks". And who is Papi? I read the story twice, carefully, and couldn't find any mention of the mysterious putter of spankings. Was a significant sentence was cut after the headline had been written? Perhaps some sports fan can enlighten me on both counts.

Bottoms Up to Kombucha - There's nothing kinky about kombucha, and it's neither a person nor a place. It's a fermented tea, flavoured with various fruits, and sold as an upscale, non-alcoholic substitute to drink with meals.


That's all for now, but I'm pretty certain I'll find more soon. I have faith in those kinky editors.

From Hermione's Heart

10 comments:

Spanky said...

I think the Red Sox have or had a player nicknamed "Big Papi." Not sure who it is, as I'm not a big baseball fan.

Susie said...

Big Papi is David Ortiz, the designated hitter of the Red Sox. They are in the same league as the Jays and therefore play each other a lot. Sometimes the Jays get spanked by a base clearing Ortiz home run.

Anonymous said...

David Ortiz of the Red Sox is called Big Papi. Back in May, he homered against Toronto as the Sox won.

I enjoy seeing signs or headlines that have a spanking undertone.

Hug,
joey

SNP said...

Very observant Hermione. Enjoyed.
Also enjoyed seeing Susie being witty and informative here as well:)

Hermione said...

Spanky - Ah, I knew I had some readers who are sports fans.

Susie - Thanks for the explanation. As you can tell, I'm not a baseball fan.

Joey - Aha. This must have been the description of that game.

SNP - Susie knows her stuff all right!

Hugs,
Hermione

Susie said...

It does sort of beg the question...do "designated hitters" in baseball make better spankers? Shoot, there are so many good and bad places one could go with that. Research fodder for one of your slower days Hermione. :)

As usual, enjoy your daily entries. I don't say thanks very often...so thanks.

ronnie said...

I do like these posts of yours Hermione. A Butter Backwater - I miss read it as well. Thanks.

I know a little bit about baseball now.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Hermione said...

Susie - You are very welcome.

Ronnie - I've learned more about baseball today than in he last three decades.

Hugs,
Hermione

A.S.S. said...

Spank-ish sounding topics do seem to slip into mainstream stories quite a bit these days. Have to think it is because they catch the eye. Know they catch ours! (though usually, yea... no actual spanking is going on)

:)
~Todd and Suzy

Hermione said...

Todd and Suzy - I agree a spanking reference is always eye-catching, to spankos and vanillas alike.

Hugs,
Hermione